Best Travel Credit Cards
If you are a frequent flyer, you might already have a travel-focused credit card you use. If you haven’t, then don’t fret because we have chosen 3 of the best travel credit cards currently available in Singapore for you to review.
As with any other kind of credit cards, you should always pick a card that suits your needs. The highest rebate card with high minimum spend may not be useful if your average spend per month is only $200. The same goes for a travel credit card – rewarding you with a higher mile earning rate may not be your priority if you travel only three times a year – hardly enough to earn you a free flight. Remember that the benefit is useless unless you are able to use it, so keep that in mind when choosing a credit card.
Here’s a look at 3 of the best travel cards suited for different types of travellers:
Citi Premier Miles Visa Card
Citi PremierMiles Card
Citi PremierMiles Credit Card
If you’re looking for a credit card that gives you AirMiles and Reward points, then you can’t go wrong with the Citi PremierMiles Card. With 1.2 Citi Miles for every S$1 spent locally and 2 Citi Miles for every S$1 spent overseas you can very quickly scale your Citi Reward Miles. Not only that but the transfer of Citi Miles to Krisflyer Miles is 1-for-1 and your Citi Miles NEVER EXPIRE. Although you do have to pay a minimal S$25 transfer fee. Lastly, you can turn your miles into cash with a cash rebate on any purchases of 1,400 Citi Miles = S$10 cash rebate (0.85% cashback on all purchases uncapped).
Pro’s of Citibank PremierMiles Card:
- 1-for-1 Citibank Miles to a wide range of airline AirMile programs, including KrisFlyer, Asia Miles, Executive Club, Etihad Guest, Qantas, Qatar and Flying Blue.
- Collect and generate Citi Miles that NEVER EXPIRE, so you can enjoy your rewards when you choose!
- Up to 10% Citi Rebate at over 300 locations, including Starbucks, Subway and Sheng Siong.
Con’s of Citibank PremierMiles Card:
- The Citibank PremierMiles card is purely designed for travellers, so don’t expect a world of other privileges. Although you do get to enjoy VIP complimentary access to airport lounges, travel and accident insurance, as well as year-long VISA Signature Privileges
- Cardholders must spend S$3,000 within 3 months from the date of card approval to enjoy the welcome 10,000 miles bonus.
This card is one of our favourite miles card for the average spenders and its one of the top travel reward cards available in Singapore. We like that the spend to miles ratio is decent and that you have a huge range of airlines from which you can redeem your miles. There is also no minimum spend, no caps on miles earned and the best part is that the miles never expire!
We really like the last one because as a user, many face the problem of having accumulated insufficient miles to exchange it for anything meaningful, which means you’ve just wasted that whole year of effort. No expiration of the miles mean you will be able to accumulate miles at your own pace and eventually exchange for a flight upgrade or even a free flight.
Some features of Citi Premier Miles Card:
- 1.2 miles for S$1 spent locally, 2 miles for S$1 spent overseas
- Redeem from a wide range of airlines and hotel loyalty programs, including Krisflyer, Qatar, Qantas and Hilton HHonors points
- 10,000 miles when you pay the annual fee and renew
- Free travel insurance
- Complimentary access to over hundreds of Priority Pass airport lounges twice a year
The flexible convertibility the card provides is great for travellers who aren’t necessarily loyal to one frequent flyer programme. If you prefer, you can also use your points for cash rebates instead. The main downside is that you will need to pay a $25 fee to convert your miles – which we think is a small price to pay for all the great benefits you are getting.
Standard Chartered Visa Infinite
Standard Chartered Visa Infinite Credit Card
If you travel frequently or if you are a business traveller, you might want to consider the Standard Chartered Visa Infinite card for its luxurious perks – get access to discounts at 5-star hotels, 20% cashback on Uber globally and up to 6 complimentary visits with your loved ones each year with the Priority Pass lounge programme
That said, the card is definitely one of the most expensive in the market – annual card fee is at $588.50 and is strictly non-waivable. What’s more, your annual income will have to be at $150,000 if you are not a Standard Chartered private banking customer.
Some features of the Standard Chartered Visa Infinite card:
- 1.4 miles for S$1 spent locally, 3 miles for S$1 spent overseas (All spends below S$2,000 will earn 2.5 points or 1 mile for every S$1 spent)
- Up to six complimentary visits with your loved ones each year with the Priority Pass lounge programme
- complimentary travel insurance coverage of up to S$1,000,000
- complimentary 4-hour yacht hire when you spend S$75,000 in 2018
- Special discounts at hotels and spas
The luxurious travel perks you get with the card comes with a hefty annual fee, but if you can afford it, why not?
AMEX Singapore Airline Krisflyer Card
American Express KrisFlyer Credit Card
American Express KrisFlyer Credit Card
When it comes to travelling, it’s important to have the right travel credit card to ensure you’re getting the most from your overseas and local spending. This can take the form of reward points, cashback or as the American Express KrisFlyer card provides, AirMiles! Customers enjoy 1.1 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 spent on all your eligible purchases and earn 2 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 equivalent in foreign currency spent overseas on eligible purchases. Plus new customers receive a bonus of 5,000 KrisFlyer miles the very first time you charge to your new card.
Pro’s of American Express KrisFlyer Card:
- Purchase your travel tickets with your American Express card and receive free Travel Inconvenience & Travel Accident Benefits of up to S$350,000.
- Enjoy hassle-free conversion as all KrisFlyer miles earned with the American Express which are conveniently credited directly into your KrisFlyer account.
- Earn 2 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 spent on eligible purchases made on singaporeair.com, SingaporeAir App, silkair.com, KrisShop and at SilkAir SkyShop, both in-flight and online.
- Receive S$150 Cashback for use on your next purchase on singaporeair.com when you spend S$12,000 on your Card from 1 July 2020 to 30 June 2021.
Con’s of American Express KrisFlyer Card:
- Miles are effortlessly transferred to your KrisFlyer account with no admin fee, but this means they start to expire.
- Some other travel cards offer a higher S$1 to Miles ratio, but potential hidden fees apply, so do your research.
Unlike rebates cards, many travel-focused credit cards actually charge a non-waivable annual fee, which can be quite a pain for many cardholders. Therefore, offering a travel credit card without having to fork out a hefty annual fee is a definite bonus!
The AMEX Singapore Airline Krisflyer card is a great card for those new to using travel cards because let’s face it, all that calculating of miles, figuring out how to get the best value for your money and actually redeeming those miles can be quite a headache! The American Express Singapore Airline Krisflyer card keeps it simple by keeping the redemption process smooth without additional fees. What’s more, the waiver of the first year’s annual fee also means you get to try out whether a travel-focused card is actually something that suits you.
Some features of the Amex Singapore Airline Krisflyer Card
- Earn 1.1 KrisFlyer miles for every S$1 spent on all your eligible purchases with your Card
- Receive a bonus of 5,000 KrisFlyer miles the very first time you charge to your Card
- Earn 7,500 sign up bonus KrisFlyer miles when you spend S$2,500 in the first 3 months upon Card approval.
- Hassle-free conversion as all KrisFlyer miles earned with the American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Credit Card are conveniently credited directly into your KrisFlyer account
- Up to S$350,000 Travel Inconvenience & Travel Accident Benefits
If you travel mostly on SIA and Silkair, then this card is a great addition to your wallet!