The Great Singapore Sale 2016 – Credit Cards Deals
The annual Great Singapore Sale (GSS) is back, and this time, it’s bigger and better! For a start, the sale event of the year has been extended to 10 weeks this time round, ending on Sunday, 14 August so as to coincide with some key activities and festivals. Our article today will bring you a list of exciting activities you can look forward to, exclusive discounts and of course, credit card promotions by the various banks!
Exciting Events to Look Forward to
For a start, there are a number of exciting themed events that are coinciding with the GSS this year. Other than the usual mall events that usually happen over the weekends, consumers can look out for specialty event such as Singapore’s first coffee festival, Beerfest Asia 2016, the Singapore International Jewelry Expo, Asia Pacific Furniture Fair 2016, as well as Singapore Food Festival. While some of these events offer free entry, others require tickets to enjoy the events. Do check out this link for details.
UnionPay – Card of GSS 2016
There has been a change in the official card sponsor for the GSS this year. GSS in the last few years has been sponsored by Mastercard, but this year, the official card of the event is UnionPay. While less well-known than other card issuers like Visa, Mastercard or Amex, UnionPay does offer a number of exclusive deals during the GSS, even beyond just shopping privileges.
Some of these include department stores like BHG, OG and Tangs, fashion brands such as Michael Kors, Ferragamo, Topshop and Hugo Boss, luxury watches and jewellery shops like Dickson Watch & jewellery, Tissot and Lee Hwa Jewellery, beauty shops like Biotherm, Kimrobinson and the Fullerton Spa, as well as F&B and hotel deals.
Shocked by the large array of promotions? You can apply for a UnionPay card, but currently, only Bank of China carries their card locally.
GSS Daily Rewards Promotions
The GSS daily rewards promotions have always been an exciting affair during the sales period as consumers get to win attractive prizes. For this year’s GSS, 5 consumers will get to win S$100 each day as a reward for spending via any mode of payment! Those who charge to UnionPay – the new Official Card, will stand to win an additional S$500 as a reward for using their UnionPay Cards!
Credit Card Promotions
Other than the official card, other credit cards by various banks are holding their own promotions as well, exclusively for their card members. Here are some exciting deals with the individual banks you can look out for:
- 20x rewards with your Citi Rewards card at selected merchants such as Topshop, Warehouse and Dorothy Perkins
- Online shopping deals – S$22 off first Deliveroo order for Citi Visa Cardmembers, 7% cashback on Muji, 8% cashback on Redmart, 7% off sitewide on Reebonz
- Travel deals – discounts up to 50% on Agoda.com, 5% off regular tickets on Eva Air, 1 complimentary night with 2-night booking at M Social Singapore.
- 1-for-1 dining deals – 1-for-1 burger at District 10, 1-for-1 buffet lunch and dinner at Holiday Inn Singapore Atrium Restaurant, 1-for-1 Wakana Menu at Rakuzen and many more
Simply charge your purchases to your CIMB Credit Card during the Great Singapore Sale and stand to win big! There are 3 ways for you to get rewards:
- 1X chance with every S$30 or more spent in a single transaction locally or overseas to win a Volvo V40!
- Be the first 50/100 respectively to SMS COOKWARE<space>Last 4 digits of Principal CIMB Credit Card number to 72008 during the applicable qualifying periods, or spend a minimum of S$20,000 within the same qualifying period to win a Le Creuset marmite Cast Iron Pot with $529
- Spend S$200 or more on your CIMB Credit Card and stand to redeem a $10 voucher for The Coffee Bean Card, Dairy Farm Gift Vouchers or Takashimaya Department Store Gift Vouchers
From now till 15 July, Standard Chartered credit card holders stand to receive one of these 3 attractive prizes with various amounts of spending on their cards:
- 10 Cathay Cineplex movie tickets – with $5000 to $9999 spend
- 1-night stay in Courtyard Room at The Fullerton Hotel Singapore – with $10,000 to $20,999 spend
- A pair of all-inclusive SilkAir tickets to Langkawi, Phuket or Siem Reap – with $21,000 spend and above
If you find the spend amount required to win one of these prizes too much, there’s also the “Shake the Bag Game” where you stand to win up to $200 Cashback . Simply charge a minimum of $150 in a single eligible transaction to your card and receive an SMS to play the game. Registration is required.
HSBC is rewarding its card-holders with 3 types of gifts, depending on the spending amount.
- $1,200 (max. of 5 charge slips) Gift 1A: Buffet Lunch for One at Oscar’s, Conrad Centennial Singapore worth up to S$69
- $2,000 (max. of 10 charge slips) Gift 1B: Buffet Lunch for Two at Oscar’s, Conrad Centennial Singapore worth up to S$138
- $8,000 (max. of 20 charge slips) Gift 2: 2D1N weekend staycation in a Classic Room at Conrad Centennial Singapore worth S$745, inclusive of Buffet Breakfast for two at Oscar’s
To redeem, you’d need to present your HSBC credit card and original charge slips at:
ORO Redemption Centre,
18 Cross Street #02-25/26,
China Square Central,
- Retails specials – 15% off with min. S$80 nett spend at Crabtree & Evelyn, free charm with minimum purchase of $388 at Samantha Thavasa, up to 70% off sale items at Pazzion
- Online deals – 10% off BagBistro, 20% off Benjamin Barker, 35% off Feastbump Food delivery, 25% off Foodpanda, 15% off Groupon and accelerated cashback on Shopback
- Travel deals – up to 75% off hotel stays worldwide on Agoda.com, 8% off apartment and villa rentals on Roomorama, $20 off the first ride with Uber and many other exclusive travel package discounts.
Disclaimer: please check with the respective banks’ websites for the terms & conditions for the GSS discounts and redemptions.